Hijacked bunker tanker Aris 13 and her crew have now been released from capture.
The EU Naval Force (Somalia) (EU Navfor) Thursday confirmed that hijacked bunker tanker Aris 13 and her crew have been released from capture off Somalia.
"Aris 13 and her crew are now en route to a safe port on the north coast of Somalia after armed pirates, who had been holding the crew since Monday 13 March 2017, departed the ship," said EU Navfor.
"It is understood that members of the Puntland Maritime Police Force assisted with the ship's release and are currently on board."
EU Naval Force (Somalia)
Aris 13 and her crew are now en route to a safe port
Further details on the ship's release are yet to be confirmed.
Aris 13 was hijacked on Monday - said to be the first time a commercial vessel has been successfully hijacked off Somalia's coast since 2012.
Yesterday, International Maritime Organization (IMO) Secretary-General Kitack Lim issued a call for vigilance following the hijacking, stating: "the reality is that piracy off the coast of Somalia has not been eradicated and the underlying conditions have not changed."